1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1940's meet ups

Discussion in 'Burlesque And Cabaret Chat' started by Candee Handful, May 29, 2009.

1. JUNE 13TH/14TH
    GREAT CENTRAL RAILWAY WARTIME WEEKEND

JUNE 20TH/21ST
    AVONCROFT MUSEUM OF BUILDINGS 40'S WEEKEND, BROMSGROVE

JUNE 27TH/28TH
    SEVERN VALLEY RAILWAY WARTIME WEEKEND, BRIDGNORTH

JULY 4TH/5TH
    SEVERN VALLEY RAILWAY WARTIME WEEKEND, BRIDGNORTH

JULY 11TH/12TH
    PONDEROSA 40'S WEEKEND, HECKMONDWIKE

JULY 25TH/26TH
    WHITTINGTON BARRACKS WARTIME WEEKEND, LICHFIELD

AUGUST 8TH/9TH
    CRICH TRAMWAY MUSEUM WARTIME WEEKEND, DERBYSHIRE

AUGUST 22ND/23RD
    RAF UPWOOD WARTIME WEEKEND, CAMBS

AUGUST 29Th
    TWINWOOD FESTIVAL SEPTEMBER

5TH/6TH
    ELSECAR MUEUM 40'S WEEKEND

OCTOBER 3RD/4TH
    VILLAGE AT WAR WEEKEND, STOKE BRUERNE, NORTHAMPTON

OCTOBER 16th
    PICKERING SHOWGROUND

OCTOBER 17th/18th
    PICKERING STATION NORTH YORKSHIRE MOORS RAILWAY WARTIME WEEKEND.

OCTOBER 24TH
    THE ANDERSON'S 40'S DANCE, WAKEFIELD

NOVEMBER 7TH
    40'S DANCE, ROYAL BRITISH LEGION, POYNTON
  2. Thanks Candee i didnt know there was so much happening i definatly be down severn valley railway.
  3. I know - its brilliant! Us too!!
  4. Ophelia1

Ophelia1 Newbie

5. PAINTEDLADY

PAINTEDLADY Newbie

What happens at the war time weekend in Bridgnorth?
  6. Ooooo - thanks Ophelia1 for that! Looks great!

27.06.2009 - 28.06.20091940's Weekend[​IMG]Severn Valley Railway,
    Bridgnorth to Kidderminster. Tel: 01299 403816
    A nostalgic look at Britain during World War II with period vehicles, costumes and re-enactments. Come in period dress. Also July 4th and 5th More: www.svr.co.uk
  7. The Severn Valley one is always a great one - loads of people really get 'in the mood' (haha did you see what I did there?)

I drove past Attingham Park, our biggest National Trust site in Shropshire the other day too and saw a large banner saying they've got a 1940s weekend there this weekend (June 20th-21st) 1-4pm each day

Here's the blurb if anyone's interested:

The magnificent house and grounds near Shrewsbury will be a hive of activity with war-time music, drama, food, memorabilia, costume and activities.

There will be bunting and 1940s music playing in the Stables Court Yard as well as the chance to play traditional outdoor games and indulge in sweets sold from a stall.

Children can collect ID cards, make a gas mask box and follow a trail around the house, to see if they could survive on war time rations.

In front of the mansion, visitors will get to see a range of military vehicles courtesy of the Military Vehicle Trust, and there will also be classic cars on display outside the Orangery.

Inside the house visitors will get to meet a ‘Winston Churchill’ re-enactor, who will be giving rousing speeches within his own Attingham cabinet war room.

There will be also be cinema screen showing 1940s programmes, a 1940s clothing display and a timeline of key events.

In the Servants Hall there will be a Women’s Voluntary Service (WVS) display and the Outer Library will host an American Air Base display

Visitors will also be able to see what people ate at times of rationing in the Kitchen.

Staff in the National Trust shop and tearooms will be dressed in 1940s attire and playing music from the decade.

Becci Sayer, Assistant House and Visitor Services Manager, said: “It promises to be a great family day out with lots to see and do. With all the military memorabilia and classic cars, it would be a perfect Father’s Day treat for dads.”

The event runs from 1pm to 4pm. The shop and visitor reception open at 9am and close at 6pm with the tea-room and Carriage House Kiosk opening at 10.30am. The house opens at 1pm with taster tours at 11am and 11.45am.

Normal admission charges apply with a further £2 for a 1940s survival kit, which includes a gas mask making kit, ID card, label, and ration book trail.

For further details or for event information please call the property on 01743 708123.

And if this works, here's where it is:
    to: Attingham Pk, Shrewsbury, SY4 4TP - Google Maps
  8. tattiedivine

tattiedivine Newbie

its a fabulous event, cant make it this weekend though, John is on earlies and I've got the kids.
    Not to mention fathers day on sunday so dont forget those cards for the pops ladies

xxx
  9. Violet Ecstasy

Violet Ecstasy Senior Member

I'd like to go to the Severn Valley one. Hubby has said he might accompany but he won't do period dress.
  10. PixieParasol

PixieParasol Newbie

Oooooh......I'd like to go to the Crich Tramway Museum Wartime Weekend on 8th and 9th August. Is anyone else going to this??? Has anyone been to it before??? Does everyone dress-up???

I can pull a forties style outfit together for me, don't know if I can persuade the kids to dress-up though. Would be soooooo cool if they would. Might try bribery!!!!

kisses
    PixieParasol