1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Feather Fans

Discussion in 'Fashion/Make-Up' started by Penny Hill, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Penny Hill

Penny Hill Newbie

I want to make my own feather fans, but have no idea how to go about this? What to do? Where to learn? Is it only an industry secret?

Thanks
  2. Penny Feathers

Penny Feathers Junior Member

i made my own fans......well i say i made them my Hubby did actually (isnt he a gem!)......this is going to sound really corny but...
    we bought some bubbles in a tube (things you get for kids lol) emptied them out and got some ostrich feather fans, drilled holes into the tubes and filled the tubes with polystyrene (spelling), squished the stem of the ostrich feathers into the holes and the polystyrene (again) held them together...just dabbed a little extra strong glue at the base of the stems and wrapped coloured ribbon around the bubble tubes lol....and viola firm sturdy fans that cost about £20 each and there fairly big as well.....altho they dont fold down....but hey these are my temp fans untill i get enough money saved up for real ones xx

check out my video on youtube of them in action
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxd8MBx6JxI"]YouTube - fan dance my first routine[/ame]
  3. I'm planning on writing a how-to in the future.

It's been a closely guarded industry secret for a long time as many performers suppliment their performing income with making feather fans.
  4. PonieRyder

PonieRyder Newbie

I use custom-made acrylic staves that i've had made for me, because it's nice to have something different.
    "Proper" fans can be pretty expensive to make, so you just gotta be creative if you're on a tight budget.

There are a few ways to make good fans, but as long as you end up with something that you love it doesn't really matter how you get there :D